Embark on a prehistoric pedal with an Escape to the Wessex Downs...
DETAILS OF THE RIDE
Start Date : Saturday 29th - Sunday 30th June 2019, Saturday 13th - Sunday 14th July 2019
Start Point : Swindon railway station
Start Time : 10:15am
Number of miles per day : 43
Hours of cycling per day : 4-6
Overnight Camp : Totteridge Farm
Ride Grading : Moderate
You'll need to be moderately fit and capable of cycling approximately 45 miles per day.
- 2 days of glorious cycling exploring the chalk hills, rural villages and little streams of the Wessex Downs
- Take a neolithic wander up White Chalk Hill and stand on the prehistoric Uffington White Horse, a late bronze age Celtic chalk carving
- Enjoy spectacular views of Dragon Hill, said to be where the 'infamous' dragon was slain by Saint George
- Get to know your new cycling buddies with a relaxed lunch in a Wiltshire country pub
- Enjoy a Saturday afternoon tipple (just the one!) with a visit to and guided tour of the Ramsbury Microbrewery and Distillery
- Camp out under the stars on Saturday night at magnificent Totteridge Farm, one of the most beautiful campsites in Wiltshire
- Enjoy a home cooked 'al fresco' dinner just a few steps from your tent as the sun sets over Martinsell Hill
- Wake up to a delicious healthy breakfast provided by our friends Dorset Cereals
- Look out for roaming deer as we pass Savernake Forest
- Take a roadside snack break at the pretty village of Marlborough, nestled on the River Kennet
- Try the local 'Ciderniks' cider and, if we're lucky, see one of the few remaining horse drawn carriages in Britain in the picture perfect village of Kintbury
- Test yourself with an (optional) climb up to Walbury Hill and admire the views from the highest point in Hampshire
WHAT'S INCLUDED? (Weekend price £185)
- 2 day guided ride
- Support vehicle to carry day packs and provide mechanical support
- Lunch both days
- Overnight camp and equipment hire (tent, air mat, travel pillow & camping chairs)
- Delicious 'al fresco' campsite dinner on Saturday night
- Breakfast on Sunday morning courtesy of our friends Dorset Cereals
- Snacks & roadside refreshments
- Visit (with tasting!) to the Ramsbury Microbewery & Distillery
- Secure bicycle storage at campsite
Whats not included?
- A sleeping bag
- Bicycle hire (£50): We'll organise hire of a bicycle for you from Saturday to Sunday. We'll have your bike waiting for you in Swindon when you arrive, and we'll take it back from you as you finish the ride on Sunday. It couldn't be easier! We'll also provide a bicycle helmet and lock.
- London transfer (£50): Meet us in West London (most likely a station accessible by London Overground like Willesden Junction) at, or just before, 9am. We'll load your bike into our support van, and we'll put on a coach to take you to the ride start point at Swindon. We'll also bring you and your bike back to Willesden Junction on Sunday afternoon after the ride.