Escape the City to the High Weald
Step back in time with an Escape to the High Weald...
'Escape the City' is a particularly fitting description for this ride. The ancient heathland forest was a place of sanctuary for lowland Britons during the Saxon raids and, more recently, a haven for outlaws and highwaymen looking to evade capture! We, of course, will be there for less dangerous reasons.
The High Weald (from the old Saxon word 'Walde' meaning forest) is a high sandstone ridge, formed millions of years ago, and one of the best surviving landscapes in Europe with its narrow, sunken lanes and steep valleys. So expect a big dose of wild and natural beauty, a fair chunk of medieval history and truly magnificent views, all just a stone's throw from London.
Click here to see photographs from our Escape the City to the Chiltern Hills ride
DETAILS OF THE RIDE
Start Dates : TBC
Start Point : Royal Tunbridge Wells
Start Time : 10am
Number of miles per day : 45
Hours of cycling per day : 4-6
Overnight Camp : Dernwood Farm Wild Camping
End Point: Royal Tunbridge Wells
Ride Difficulty : Heart-raising
Learn more about the ride difficulty.
- A fully guided, fully supported 2 day cycle experience with a group of like-minded adventurers in the ancient forests of Kent and Sussex
- Magnificent views of the Eden and Medway valleys from the Weald's high sandstone ridge
- Visit to the delightful Wealden villages of Mayfield, an absolute gem with its quaint high street, and Groombridge with its village green and moated manor house
- Top notch coffee and home made cakes at the Deer Park cafe in Eridge
- See the Ancient yew tree at Rotherfield, said to pre-date the ancient church which once stood there
- Cosy wild camp under the stars in a secluded woodland campsite
- Delicious pub dinner and some well deserved drinks at the hand-picked Star Inn country pub in Waldron
WHAT'S INCLUDED? (from £175)
- 2 day guided ride
- Support vehicle to carry day packs and provide mechanical support
- Lunch both days
- Overnight camp and camping gear (tent, air mat, travel pillow & camping chairs)
- Delicious campsite BBQ and drinks with local produce from the on-site farm shop
- Breakfast on Sunday morning courtesy of our friends Dorset Cereals
- Secure bicycle storage at campsite
What's not included?
- A sleeping bag
- Swimwear & towel
- Bicycle hire (from £65): We'll organise hire of a bicycle for you from Saturday to Sunday. We'll have your bike waiting for you in Royal Tunbridge Wells when you arrive, and we'll take it back from you as you finish the ride on Sunday. It couldn't be easier! We'll also provide a bicycle helmet and lock.
To read more reviews from our Escape the City rides visit our Tripadvisor page.
Browse our escapes