Experience wondrous landscapes and the finest local produce with an Escape to the Chiltern Hills...
'Escape The City to the Chiltern Hills' is a cycle ride with a twist. Though cycling is our first love, we think the Chiltern Hills are best explored through a combination of pedal and foot. So, if you love walking and cycling in near equal measure (with a couple of delightful country pubs thrown in) this is the escape for you.
We'll enjoy spectacular views and delightful traffic-free cycling as we traverse the chalk hills, sample fine local produce and camp out under the stars in a hidden woodland campsite, the Chiltern Retreat.
DETAILS OF THE RIDE
Start Date : Saturday 14 - Sunday 15 September 2019
Start Point : Tring railway station
Start Time : 10am
Number of miles per day : 32
Hours of cycling per day : 3-4 (+ optional 2 hour walk each day)
Overnight Camp : Chiltern Retreat
End Point : High Wycombe station
Ride Grading : Moderate
You'll need to be moderately fit, and capable of cycling 30 miles and walking 2-3 miles in the same day.
- 2 days of wonderful cycling over the rolling landscapes of the Chiltern Hills
- Enjoy a wholesome and delicious lunch at The Grange, opened by Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, in a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere, with all profits supporting the charity
- A delicious snack stop at the No Car Cafe, a rural getaway for walkers, cyclists and riders offering locally sourced, real food in a friendly, relaxing, rustic atmosphere
- Visit the quintessentially English village of Aldbury and pretty Ewelme with its duckpond and local village store
- Experience peace and tranquility with a cosy wild camp under the stars at the Chiltern Retreat (tents, air mats, travel pillows and camping chairs all set up and provided by us)
- 3 mile 'Three Villages pub walk' taking in the Chequers Inn at Fingest, The Frog at Skirmett and The Bull & Butcher in Turville (optional)
- Stop for Sunday lunch at the traditional country pub, King William IV
- See the Grade II listed ruins of the medieval Church of St James at Bix Brand
- Embark on a leisurely wildlife walk around Warburg Nature Reserve (optional)
WHAT'S INCLUDED? (Weekend price £185)
- 2 day guided ride
- Support vehicle to carry day packs and provide mechanical support
- Lunch both days at The Grange on Saturday and King William IV on Sunday
- Overnight camp and equipment hire (tent, air mat, travel pillow & camping chairs)
- Delicious dinner at the Chequers Inn at Fingest
- Breakfast on Sunday morning courtesy of our friends Dorset Cereals
- A snack stop at the No Car Cafe & roadside refreshments
- Guided 'Three Villages pub walk' and Warburg Nature Reserve (optional)
- Secure bicycle storage at campsite
Whats not included?
- A sleeping bag
- Bicycle hire (£50): We'll organise hire of a bicycle for you from Saturday to Sunday. We'll have your bike waiting for you in Tring when you arrive, and we'll take it back from you as you finish the ride on Sunday. It couldn't be easier! We'll also provide a bicycle helmet and lock.