Experience wondrous landscapes and the finest local produce with an Escape to the Chiltern Hills...
'Escape The City to the Chiltern Hills' is a cycle ride with a twist. Though cycling is our first love, we think the Chiltern Hills are best explored through a combination of pedal and foot. So, if you love walking and cycling in near equal measure (with a couple of delightful country pubs thrown in) this is the escape for you.
We'll enjoy spectacular views and delightful traffic-free cycling as we traverse the chalk hills, sample fine local produce in the pop up yurt at the Wild Strawberry Cafe and camp out under the stars in a hidden woodland campsite.
DETAILS OF THE RIDE
Start Date : Saturday 17th - Sunday 18th August 2019, Saturday 14th - Sunday 15th September 2019
Start Point : Tring railway station
Start Time : 10am
Number of miles per day : 32
Hours of cycling per day : 3-4 (+ optional 2 hour walk each day)
Overnight Camp : Chiltern Retreat
End Point : High Wycombe station
Ride Grading : Moderate
You'll need to be moderately fit, and capable of cycling 30 miles and walking 2-3 miles in the same day.
- 2 days of wonderful cycling over the rolling landscapes of the Chiltern Hills
- Enjoy seasonal, homegrown, rustic snacks and loose-leaf teas at the Wild Strawberry Cafe
- Visit the quintessentially English village of Aldbury and pretty Ewelme with its duckpond and local village store
- Experience peace and tranquility with a cosy wild camp under the stars (tents, air mates, travel pillows and camping chairs all set up and provided by us)
- 3 mile 'Three Villages pub walk' taking in the Chequers Inn at Fingest, The Frog at Skirmett and The Yew Tree in Frieth (optional)
- Stop for an 'al fresco' Sunday lunch at the Crooked Billet in Stoke Row
- See the Grade II listed ruins of the medieval Church of St James at Bix Brand
- Embark on a leisurely Sunday stroll through the beautiful Thames-side towns of Mill End, Hurley and Bisham (optional)
WHAT'S INCLUDED? (Weekend price £185)
- 2 day guided ride
- Support vehicle to carry day packs and provide mechanical support
- Lunch both days
- Overnight camp and equipment hire (tent, air mat, travel pillow & camping chairs)
- Campsite dinner prepared, cooked and delivered by one of our local catering partners
- Breakfast on Sunday morning courtesy of our friends Dorset Cereals
- Snacks & roadside refreshments
- Guided 'Three Villages pub walk' and Thames-side hike (optional)
- Secure bicycle storage at campsite
Whats not included?
- A sleeping bag
- Bicycle hire (£50): We'll organise hire of a bicycle for you from Saturday to Sunday. We'll have your bike waiting for you in Tring when you arrive, and we'll take it back from you as you finish the ride on Sunday. It couldn't be easier! We'll also provide a bicycle helmet and lock.
- London transfer (£50): Meet us at London Euston at, or just before, 9am. We'll load your bike into our support van, and we'll put on a coach to take you to the ride start point at Tring. We'll also bring you and your bike back to London Marylebone on Sunday afternoon after the ride.