Experience wondrous landscapes and the finest local produce with an Escape to the Chiltern Hills...
'Escape The City to the Chiltern Hills' is a cycle ride with a twist. Though cycling is our first love, we think the Chiltern Hills are best explored through a combination of pedal and foot. So, if you love walking and cycling in near equal measure, this is the escape for you.
We'll enjoy spectacular views of the surrounding landscapes from Coombe Hill, one of the highest points in Buckinghamshire, sample fine local produce in the pop up yurt at the Wild Strawberry Cafe and camp out under the stars in a hidden woodland campsite.
DETAILS OF THE RIDE
Start Date : Saturday 17th - Sunday 18th August 2019, Saturday 14th - Sunday 15th September 2019
Start Point : Berkhamsted station
Start Time : 10am
Number of miles per day : 33
Hours of cycling per day : 3-4 (+ 3 hour hike on Saturday)
Overnight Camp : Chiltern Retreat
Ride Grading : Moderate
You'll need to be moderately fit, and capable of cycling 35 miles and walking 5 miles in the same day.
- 2 days of wonderful cycling over the rolling landscapes of the Chiltern Hills
- A 6 mile hike on the Coombe Hill trail taking in Beacon Hill, Ellesborough village, Chequers (the official residence of the Prime Minister) and panoramic views of the Aylesbury Vale
- Enjoy seasonal, homegrown, rustic snacks and loose-leaf teas at the Wild Strawberry Cafe
- Visit the quintessentially English village of Aldbury and pretty Ewelme with its duckpond and local village store
- Get to know the group over a leisurely 'al fresco' lunch at the summit of Beacon Hill
- See the Grade II listed ruins of the medieval Church of St James at Bix Brand
- Experience peace and tranquility with a 'cosy' wild camp under the stars (tents, air mats, travel pillows and camping chairs all set up and provided by us)
- Take a stroll over the fields and enjoy a delicious dinner at the Yew Tree country pub in Frieth
- Test your taste buds over a pitstop at one of the famous local Chiltern breweries and distilleries
WHAT'S INCLUDED? (Weekend price £185)
- 2 day guided ride
- Support vehicle to carry day packs and provide mechanical support
- Lunch both days
- Overnight camp and equipment hire (tent, air mat, travel pillow & camping chairs)
- Dinner at the Yew Tree in Frieth on Saturday night
- Breakfast on Sunday morning courtesy of our friends Dorset Cereals
- Snacks & roadside refreshments
- Guided 6 mile hike of the Coombe Hill trail
- Secure bicycle storage at campsite
Whats not included?
- A sleeping bag
- Bicycle hire (£50): We'll organise hire of a bicycle for you from Saturday to Sunday. We'll have your bike waiting for you in Berkhamsted when you arrive, and we'll take it back from you as you finish the ride on Sunday. It couldn't be easier! We'll also provide a bicycle helmet and lock.
- London transfer (£50): Meet us in North London (most likely a station accessible by National Rail and London Overground like London Euston) at, or just before, 9am. We'll load your bike into our support van, and we'll put on a coach to take you to the ride start point at Berkhamsted. We'll also bring you and your bike back to London Marylebone on Sunday afternoon after the ride.