We've been working tirelessly to develop an Escape The City ride suitable for the novice cyclist, or those just looking for a leisurely ride! And now we've done it.
But don't be put off if you're an experienced rider. We've designed optional 'add on loops' on both days for those wanting a more strenuous physical challenge. Think of it as a choose your own adventure!
Escape The City to the Essex Countryside is comparatively flat, with no strenuous hill climbs, relatively traffic-free and still stunningly pretty. And you can dispense with any preconceptions of Essex! Its northeastern corner borders the beautiful Suffolk countryside and is dominated by acres of farmland, which means seemingly endless networks of quiet country lanes. Expect thatched country cottages, meticulously ploughed crop fields and quaint streets lined with colourfully-painted townhouses. The area is also home to the gorgeous Dedham Vale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, which we'll have chance to explore on our second day.
Click here to see photographs from our Escape The City Chilterns ride
DETAILS OF THE RIDE
Start Dates :
Start Point : Marks Tey station
Start Time : 9:45am
Number of miles per day : 31
Hours of cycling per day : 4-5
Overnight Camp : Little Ropers Woodland Camping
End Point : Marks Tey station
Ride Difficulty : Leisurely
- A fully guided, fully supported, all inclusive 2 day cycle experience in the Essex and Suffolk Countryside
- A leisurely ride aimed at novices and near novices with a moderate level of fitness and experienced cyclists who prefer a relaxed style of riding
- Delicious Saturday picnic in the grounds of Castle Hedingham and a relaxed al-fresco Sunday lunch on the banks of the River Stour
- Cosy wild camp at the hand-picked Little Ropers Woodland Campsite at Dorking Tye (tents, air mats, travel pillows and camping chairs all set up and provided by us)
- Relaxed Saturday night dinner at the cosy Shoulder of Mutton country pub in Assington, a leisurely cross-country stroll from our overnight camp
- Visit to the Dedham Vale Vineyard, set in 40 acres of vines, woods and pasture, with the chance to taste a variety of delicious wines (optional)
WHAT'S INCLUDED? (from £175)
- 2 day guided ride
- Support vehicle to carry day packs and provide mechanical support
- Lunch both days
- Overnight camp and camping gear (tent, air mat, travel pillow & camping chairs)
- Delicious dinner at the Shoulder of Mutton pub in Assington
- Breakfast on Sunday morning
- Secure bike storage at our campsite
What's not included?
- A sleeping bag
- Bike hire (from £65): We'll organise hire of a bicycle for you from Saturday to Sunday. We'll have your bike waiting for you in Marks Tey as you arrive, and we'll take it back from you as you finish the ride on Sunday. We'll also provide a bicycle helmet and lock.
To read more reviews visit our Tripadvisor page.
Browse our escapes